Cinnamon Apple Muffins with Cream Cheese Glaze
Author: Don’s Salads
Recipe type: Muffins
For the muffins:
- 2 cups chopped apples of choice with skin on (about 3 apples)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 ounces Don’s Raisin Apple Cinnamon cream cheese
- ½-1 cup powdered sugar, sifted (use more or less depending on preferred sweetness- remember cream cheese will already be sweet)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
For the muffins:
- Microwave or heat the coconut oil until melted. Repeat the same process for the milk to bring it to room temperature. (If you don’t do this, the coconut oil will solidify when mixed with cold milk. Add the vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes to turn into buttermilk (or can use real buttermilk instead).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the coconut oil, buttermilk, sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and allspice. Stir until just combined. Fold in the apples. Scoop the mixture into a greased or lined muffin tin.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted come out clean. The muffins should be golden brown.
For the cream cheese glaze:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove pan from heat then whisk in the cream cheese.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of the milk. You want to be able to drizzle the glaze over the muffins. If it’s too thick, add another tablespoon or two of milk.